Disney Movies!!!

Go down

Disney Movies!!!

Post by Eclipse on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:07 am

The classic Disney movies are so awesome. Even some of the new ones. What are your favorite Disney movies? I can't really choose which ones are my fav but I guess I like these the most. The Lion King, UP, Hercules, and Aladdin.
Eclipse
A Contradiction

Back to top Go down

Re: Disney Movies!!!

Post by LunarScorpio on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Well, most of you probably know what my favorite movie is at this point. The Lion King has always been a big part of my life. It became my favorite movie when it came out back in 1994. It’s been my favorite movie ever since. So much that I have the entire movie memorized. I’m working on memorizing it in French now actually, haha.

This movie was also the movie that brought my fiancé and I together. He said a single word, “mook,” which is something that the meerkat, Timon, used when talking to Simba. And in the end, The Lion King became our wedding theme. So yeah, this movie has had a very big part in my life.

I’m not saying that this is the only Disney classic that I like, but this one has had the most influence on my life. All in all, I’m a Disney fanatic and I could really sit here and talk about it for hours on end.
LunarScorpio
Admin Critics
Admin Critics

http://familyvent.com

Back to top Go down

Post by redserpent on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:13 pm

The Lion King is a pretty awesome movie. And Aladdin is one of my favs too. Can't beat Robin Williams.

I was always a huge fan of Fantasia. When I was younger I would watch it pretty much every day. And that was back when tapes had to be rewound, none of this DVD easy stuff. Ah, those were the days. Dinosaurs fighting to classical music. So good.
redserpent
An Anecdote

Back to top Go down

Post by LunarScorpio on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:26 pm

This is making me want to go find my Disney VHS tapes so I can watch some of these again, lol. I have a few on DvD, but not all of them.
LunarScorpio
Admin Critics
Admin Critics

Back to top Go down

Post by redserpent on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:37 pm

I don't think we even have a VCR anymore...there might be one in the basement, but who knows..

Oh! My car has a VCR for one of those drop down movie things. Yeah minivans!
redserpent
An Anecdote

Back to top Go down

Post by LunarScorpio on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:45 pm

We have DvD-VHS players at my place, hehe. Just not in my room...so I'd have to watch them downstairs or in my mom's room.
LunarScorpio
Admin Critics
Admin Critics

Back to top Go down

Post by TaichoNinobu on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:25 pm

It's very funny for me to find this. Just recently I was in vent with my guildmates and they were having kind of a face-off of singing Disney songs, so the next day I whipped out my collection of Disney music and played it for them in vent and we had a great nostalgic time.

TaichoNinobu
A Contradiction

Back to top Go down

Post by LunarScorpio on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:56 pm

That is awesome, Tai!
LunarScorpio
Admin Critics
Admin Critics

Back to top Go down

Post by Tokuori on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:35 pm

• I found something interesting online I thought I should share with this thread. And Often thought about it to myself.. kind of weird when you actually look at it.

A disproportionate number of Disney characters lack one or both parents. Some are killed onscreen, while others are alive but mysteriously absent.

A parent's death during the course of the film, evil stepmothers and created family are common themes in Disney films.
    Reasons for the Number of Missing and Dead Parents in Disney Films

This is sometimes due to the nature of the source material on which the films were based – orphaned children are a common theme in fairy tales, allowing children to have adventures and develop the traits of self-reliance and bravery without the comfort (or hindrance) of parental/authority figures. A few Disney films show the actual death of a parent as an emotional plot device – Bambi and The Lion King (a retelling of Hamlet) both use this technique. Occasionally the parents' death, while not shown onscreen, is thematically relevant to the movie (Lilo and Stitch, The Sword in the Stone). At other times, it is necessary to the main character's initial situation of hardship (Jungle Book, Snow White, Cinderella, the Hunchback of Notre-Dame).

At other times the missing parent is less well explained. Pocahontas, Jane and Belle have happy family lives despite their mothers being dead. Ariel and Jasmine are less contented at home, but do not themselves attribute their problems to their motherless situation. It is possible in these instances that the animators simply wished to avoid cluttering up the film with non-essential characters. As animating and voicing each character costs money, leaving out parents who contributed nothing to the plot may have been simply a financial decision.

This list mentions some of the more significant missing/dead parents from Disney's most popular films.
    Characters Missing Both Parents

* Aladdin (Aladdin)
    * Lilo (Lilo and Stitch)
    * Snow White and all seven of the Dwarves (who adopt her as a mother-figure) (Snow White and the Seven Dwarves)
    * Cinderella (Cinderella)
    * Quasimodo (The Hunchback of Notre-Dame)
    * Esmerelda (The Hunchback of Notre-Dame)
    * Mowgli (The Jungle Book)
    * Peter Pan and the Lost Boys (who adopt Wendy as a mother-figure) (Peter Pan)
    * Tarzan (Tarzan)
    * Arthur (The Sword in the Stone)
    * Tod (The Fox and the Hound)

Characters Missing One Parent

* Jasmine (Aladdin)
    * Ariel (The Little Mermaid)
    * Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
    * Pocahontas (Pocahontas)
    * Pinocchio (counting Geppetto as a 'father') (Pinocchio)
    * Jane (Tarzan)
    * Bambi (Bambi)
    * Simba (The Lion King)

Orphaned Characters in Disney/Pixar Films

Pixar films are somewhat difficult to categorize, as the characters are frequently either effectively adult, minimizing the impact of their parents' absence; or, in some cases, animals or objects which do not have 'parents' in the real world. It would seem strange to categorise the toy Woody or the robot Wall-E as 'orphans', especially as their lack of parentage is not thematically or narratively significant in the films.

Tokuori
A Footnote

Back to top Go down

Post by ravenroses on Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:08 pm

My favorite is Beauty&the Beast. No contest. I also really like Aladdin, Hercules and Pocahantas though too.
ravenroses
An Anecdote

Back to top Go down

Post by SeekingSeer on Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:22 pm

My favorite Disney movies has to be Fox and the Hound and Nightmare before christmas. I love those movies...
SeekingSeer
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by billsayswow on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:51 am

If we're talking classically animated Disney movies, then I'm split between Lion King and Mulan.

But if we're allowed to be a bit heretical, and include Pixar movies, then WALL-E, by a long shot.
billsayswow
Chicken Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by haiileymaii on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:24 pm

Mulan all the way; I watch it every other night =)
And same with Aladdin, Lilo and stitch, and Oliver and company.
I'm not too much a fan of cinderella.
haiileymaii
Chicken Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by SinMarai on Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:37 pm

Mulan's my favorite, hands down. I watched it every day for months straight a few years back, and recently rediscovered it's awesomeness.
SinMarai
Chicken Scratch

http://sinmarai.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:12 pm

It would be very hard to choose a favorite. I truely love every classic disney film. I'm so in love with Disney. Very Happy

Some of the one's I'm longing to rewatch right now however, are Aladdin, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, and Pocahantus.
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by haiileymaii on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:18 am

I never really watched peter pan, or bambi for that matter.
But Mulan is win, all the way. Actually, I'm going to watch it right now. XD

And the new disney is fail. failfailfail. I really dislike it; I demand the REAL walt disney movies to be made again. I want more princesses, romance, and random "lets break out into song" moments. I'm bored with this Hannah Montana crap.
haiileymaii
Chicken Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy on Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:11 pm

I copletely agree. I'm actually really excited for this frog princess movie. We're back to animation that actually looks good, which is a plus. It's also suposed to be worked on by the same people that did Aladdin. I hope they don't let us down. Very Happy
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by haiileymaii on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:29 pm

Really? I havent heard anything about it.
Thank goodness for google. XD
But yeah; The only disney with walt was just great.
Like, he brought movies that could make you xry, laugh and even sing..
In like, what? an hour and 45 minutes. These disney movies these days,
are just... rediculous.
haiileymaii
Chicken Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:39 pm

I agree. Nothing can beat the classics. I can't even express my love for that man. This discusion has made me download so many movies and songs. xD
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by haiileymaii on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:44 pm

Oh, well... Sad but true, I have every single disney song on my iPod, and on three CDs. =) I'm cool. And I have most disney movies, too, because my gramma worked at a video place before she passed away.

I was oh so proud to learn Walt and I share a birthday, too. XD
haiileymaii
Chicken Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:53 pm

You are soooo lucky! I wish I shared a birthday with him. TT_TT
I just got my laptop, so I'm moveing everything onto it. I'm downloading this huge pack that has like, every animated disney movie on it. Very Happy
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by haiileymaii on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:03 pm

=D Haha.
Oh, cool. I forced my dad to download the 1900 version of snowwhite. Forget the exact year; 1940 something, 1960 something? I don't know... he thought it was pretty strange XD And he found it especially weird when I knew every song lyric there was in the movie.

Luuckyy. WHat was the last disney movie you say that you actually enjoyed? I mean, like the 'new' disney.
haiileymaii
Chicken Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by savfantasy on Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:07 pm

um. . . maybe Lion King 2? I wasn't great, but I didn't completely hate it. The first High School Musical was kind of cute.
Does Pixar count? Because they always have good movies. Like UP.
savfantasy
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Syldoran on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:02 am

I've definitely always loved Mulan. She's probably the most original female character in Disney movies. :3 I've never been huge on princesses and whatnot, so while I liked the other Disney movies (if only for the Genie; I mean, come on, ROBIN FREAKIN' WILLIAMS) I never fell in love with those.

The Aristocats is another good one. Because yes, indeed, everybody wants to be a cat.
Syldoran
Foreshadow

http://syldoran.sheezyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down