The hardcore gamer thread

Go down

The hardcore gamer thread

Post by Some Guy Here on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:23 pm

Do you define yourself as a "hardcore" gamer, and how do you define "hardcore" gaming?

Some Guy Here
Unreliable Narrator

Back to top Go down

Re: The hardcore gamer thread

Post by TonyMFuss on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:34 pm

I hate the terms "hardcore" an "casual," if only because they have yet to clealy define a middle ground. I am certainly not th type of gamer that plays, say a FPS, over and over hoping to rise in the leaaderboards, or that plays in tournaments, like many envision when they think "hardcore." But I am also not the type to just play for stress relief on a rare occasion, or to only play to fit into the lates trend (such as the Wii). I like to appreciate games the same way I would a book or a movie. They are another artform, one that is more interactive and thus shows great promise in becoming a shining beacon of literature if used right.

Admin Critics
Admin Critics

Back to top Go down

Post by billsayswow on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:41 am

I'm not a hardcore gamer in the least. A hardcore gamer is someone who doesn't have any fun anymore when playing games, they're just doing it to get a fix. They are the 'angry drunks' of the gaming world.

Just look at other ways you could use the word 'hardcore'.

Hardcore rapper: They sound angry at nothing.
Hardcore druggie: Just satisfying their dependence on their drug of choice.
Hardcore wrestling: Wrestling? Silly. Wrestling in a grocery store with vegetable weapons? Hardcore silly.
Hardcore apples: Hurt your teeth!
billsayswow
Chicken Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mono on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:13 am

Hardcore is kind of a funny word.
Hard, Dense.
Core, Center.
Whats the core of your head? Your brain.
Dense brain.
Rock head!

I am a hardcore gamer once I get INTO the game.
Mono
Foreshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Syldoran on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:05 pm

I'm certainly not a casual gamer, but I'm not really a hardcore gamer, either. I'm probably somewhere near the upper hardcore, though.

Casual - - - - - - - - - - - - Me - - - - Hardcore

Something like that. I like to actually have fun with a game, and if that means screaming aloud every time I see a Metroid, then all for it. That means I'm actually into the game for the game, not just for readerboards and scores. (Although scores are nice and I'm not above going back to try to do better.)
Syldoran
Foreshadow

http://syldoran.sheezyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Satan2.0 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:30 pm

I don't know if I'd be considered Hardcore... I play games once for the fun of it and to check it out, and if I really like it then I'll replay it a couple hundered times to get everything I can off of it. But I also still play it for fun.

For example, I've played God Of War so many times it's not even funny. But each time I have fun destroying everything, and I have fun getting into the story line. And being like;
Oh Em Gee, the graphics are flipping EPIC!!!

But I'm always into the game, I don't play when I lose interest, then I sit there and am like;
WTF, why am I waisting time on this...

Then put in a new game... But I hate it when people play for competative reasons... I just want to have fun. T^T
Note that I don't play COD because the "Hardcore" gamers ruined that game for me.
Satan2.0
Scribbler

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyMFuss on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:51 pm

Satan2.0 wrote:
Note that I don't play COD because the "Hardcore" gamers ruined that game for me.

I feel the same way with Gears of War. CoD: MW almost became that way for me as well, until I decided I would just find hiding spots and snipe people as they kill one another. Also, I keep everyone muted Twisted Evil

Admin Critics
Admin Critics

Back to top Go down

Post by Tokuori on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:15 am

I play world of warcraft

Tokuori

on Gorgonnash

> w >
Tokuori
A Footnote

Back to top Go down

Post by Syldoran on Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:10 pm

Mm, I should've kept into WoW. I played Lineage II for a long time before, though, and they're so different I just didn't like WoW . . .

OhwaitslightlyoffsubjectLOL

I have to say online games always felt a little too hardcore for me. I never liked working hard to get the money or anything for everything. Kinda stopped being fun.
Syldoran
Foreshadow

http://syldoran.sheezyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Caesious on Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Hardcore gaming ftw! Nah, that kind of scares me. I can get really into a game, obsess over it, play it through so many times to try and unlock everything, but it's all for the fun of it, even for MMO's. I would go on to ramble about those, but I think I'd be digressing from the topic a bit too much.

I would consider hardcore gaming on MMO's to be...like my dad. For some MMO or another, he keeps excel spreadsheets to track gold, trade transactions, items, etc., then plays through the night, trying to get to max level as quickly as he can. (Then gets yelled at by my mom to focus on work, but I digress, again. x3)

As for other games, I've never encountered hardcore gamers on fps games, mostly because I don't play them, but some of the DoTA players for Warcraft 3 are freakishly hardcore. It's like every loss is personal, and that doesn't appeal to me. A game is a game, no?
Caesious
Chicken Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by FliehVorDerDunkelheit! on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:34 pm

I'm in the middle somewhere, too. I played CoD: WaW on Live because I appreciate the added difficulty of beating humans instead of computers. I play games like Rock Band, too, because there's just an appeal to me when I get lost in the music. Gaming is about the experience for me, not the scores or being better than everyone else at wiping people out with bombs and shotguns.
FliehVorDerDunkelheit!
An Anecdote

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyMFuss on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:14 pm

Hm, more gamers here than I originaly thought. Maybe I should make a "what are you playing now?" thread.

Admin Critics
Admin Critics

Back to top Go down

Post by LunarScorpio on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:16 pm

You could! You should! Ook, that's all I've got to say, lol. I'm no hardcore gamer, I play on occassion. There are some games I get addicted to (like Halo 3, Bully, or Portal), but in general I just play on and off.
LunarScorpio
Admin Critics
Admin Critics

http://familyvent.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nepenthe on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:34 pm

I'm playing WoW on the EU server Kargath and Kil'Jaeden (Classic guild) and Runes of Magic

I'm desperately waiting for AION to be released.
Nepenthe
A Footnote

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down